Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Frugal Still Life Photography #3: Vase Variations

This week's lesson in Frugal Still Life Photography featured a guest photographer (Barb from Keeping with the Times) creating beautiful work with a simple set up a vase and a few things from nature. You can see her photo and check out her blog here. I bought this little milk bottle last week when Alison visited, and it seemed a perfect starting point.  Adding some alstromeria pods and chicken feathers to complete the tableau resulted in a photograph which I love because it is very me. I wonder if it might seem a discordant combination to others, but I feel like I own this photograph; that it is a part of who I am. I only wish I remembered how to add textures in PSE. . . . I think it would improve the overall photograph.
I tried a few other set-ups, as well.
I think this would make a really cool photo card for Valentine's Day. Don't you?
And then there's this one which really built on last week's lesson about white space and the first week's lesson about sometimes cutting items off:
It took a fair amount of cropping for me to get a composition which worked. Ultimately, I think I achieved a nice balance, although perhaps I should have brought the right side in just a tad more. What do you think?
My final shot doesn't really respond to the prompt very well. But I don't care . . .
Because I love it! The angle, the focus, the composition. Everything. 
I'm really learning a lot in this course, including a few things about set-up.  Here's my pull back shot.
I've seen several participants drape backgrounds over a chair, so I decided to try that today. I actually put a pillow case over the back of the chair and laid a dishcloth along the seat!
I played with some other still lifes (inspired by the artwork of Matisse) which I will share this weekend.  In the meantime, I love your feedback and comments. Always like to know which ones people like best.

20 comments:

debs14 said...

I have to say that the penultimate photo catches my eye the most! Love that little blue jar, and it contrasts so wel with the feathers.l

alexa said...

I am another fan of the little blue jar, and your last two would make a great zoom in zoom out? Glad to hear you are enjoying this course such a lot.

helena said...

me too as a blue vase fan

Missus Wookie said...

Another blue vase fan - I've enjoyed the course too. Looking forward to reading this week's lesson today and playing over the weekend.

Barbara said...

I can see you are enjoying the course. Oh I'm in love with that XOXO milk bottle, so cute.

marie grady palcic said...

loving that blue bottle! and feathers - I am huge fan of feathers :)
I do the same thing you did - try this, change to that, add something else. this is a lot of fun and I enjoyed seeing your process. :)

Sian said...

Yep, I like the blue vase too

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I need to get on the ball and practice some of the prompts from this class. I had good intentions when I signed up, but my weekends have been packed so I've yet to play.

Your shots are great, and I really love that little blue jug!

Cheri said...

I also love that little blue jug and the shots with it. And I'm a bit envious that you are able to actually include some nature in your shots. I didn't care to brave the zero degree temps to go outside and find something ... if indeed there was anything to find buried in the snow!

Anonymous said...

Love that bottle! Beautiful!

Melissa said...

These are fantastic Rinda! My favorite is the one with the heart - would definitely make a great Valentine's Day card.

Cheryl has a short video tutorial on texturing in PSE here: http://cherylmccainphotography.com/texturing-an-image-tutorial/.

CherylM said...

I love that you're experimenting with different set-ups Rinda! I love the next-to-the-last shot of the blue vase with space at the top.

Alison said...

I recognised that little white and red vase immediately!! ...wonderful pics!
Alison xx

Carola Bartz said...

I love the blue container!!! And the second photo of your frugal still life is my favorite, the one you think would make a great Valentine's card (and I agree).
Taking photos of still life is real fun. I only discovered that not so long ago, and I'm still pretty new at it. Going to thrift stores has become a completely new perspective!

Anonymous said...

i LOVE the lines on the dishcloth ... my first thought was "i hope she angles the cloth a little so the lines go a little not quite straight" ... funny i never think of stuff like that .. maybe i need to start just taking pictures for fun instead of always having a purpose! hmmmmm

Mariana

sky-blu-pink said...

Great vases, both of them, and pretty arrangements.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Great photos! Love the blue vase!

Nina said...

Great photos! My favorite is the last one with the feathers and the blue vase - so beautiful!

The Mann Fam said...

I am having a fun time thinking about the prompts and how to follow through with them. I think my favorite is the one with the heart. Probably because I am a sucker for hearts.

Miriam said...

The blue vase and the feathers, two of my favourite things. I am enjoying the class two. I love that I can play like this inside...we have such awful weather at the moment.