Monday, January 28, 2013

Playing with Paper 53 (Digital Creating)

I've been spending some time playing with the Paper 53 app on my ipad, and my favorite thing to do, so far, is to make watercolor blob faces (a technique I learned - using real water colors - in the 101 Faces class offered by Carla Sonheim). It's fairly easy, and I'm happy with the results.
My attempts at digital art journaling with the Paper app, on the other hand, was not as successful:
I'm keeping it small because I don't really like it - LOL! But I learned a lot while doing it, and I'm posting it so that, a year or so from now, I can see how far I've come! 
It's been fun to experiment and bring the skills I've learned in IRL drawing, painting and art journaling to the digital sketching world.  The eraser and rewind functions are particularly amazing, and I wish they existed in real life.
Have you tried anything new lately?

13 comments:

Linda said...

Well done for trying something new! Looks like you are already mastering the technique. I am going to learn to knit this year, that's my something new:)

Amy said...

I find that quite fascinating - the top two have turned out so well!

Jane said...

looks good to me!

Elizabeth said...

I sort of like the paper app one. It has a lot of mystery in it.

Missus Wookie said...

I've heard a couple of people talk about that app - interesting to see the results. I like the faces and your comment about 'a year from now' made me smile, just saw some of my first pages....

Sian said...

I got a friend to show me how to use her Cricut this morning - that was new for me. Oh, and her pricing gun - got a go on that cos she has just opened a craft shop.

I love those faces - they have a little quirkiness which is very beguiling

Abi said...

I love the top two and the clever technique. Well done for posting a page you don't like. I don't think I do this enough with my work. It will be lovely to see how far you have come in a year.

Jo Murray said...

There's always something new to try. Will post on a new technique myself in my next post.

Melissa said...

As always, you're art is great, Rinda. And it does look like you are having fun with these new tools.

I'm hoping to try out my new sewing machine in Febrary (since January got filled up with the new job).

Beverly said...

Oh, love the way the Paper 53 is progressing and as for the other...practice is a wonderful thing. Great idea to be able to look back to realize the progress.

Karen said...

Those first two are wonderful. I think I'd better stick to learning to sketch with a pencil---still on my list. There wasn't any progress in January!

Lynda said...

I think you did great job! Don't you just love Paper app. My play did not turn out as nice as yours. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I really like your idea of posting something you've done that you don't like so that you can see how far you've come. Love those faces!