Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Converting a 1 page sketch to a 2 page layout

Thanks to everyone for your nice comments on the scrapbook layouts I've been posting lately. Many of you have commented that you like how I fit so many pictures on a layout, and I really appreciate it. One of the reasons I scrap is because I like to have all my photographs in scrapbook albums, so I scrap A LOT of pictures.  My style is also very linear and fairly spare, so I can put a lot of pictures on each page.  I also almost always make two page layouts, and I usually have 7-9 pictures on the two page spread. 
Today, I thought I'd share how I took Shimelle's Scrapbook Starting Point Sketch from this week and converted it to a two page layout.  Her sketch is here, and it formed the basis for the page up top. I don't have any border punches, so I used a Heidi Grace chipboard border (Frost Blvd. line) instead.  After following her cutting directions, I took the left over piece of blue patterned paper and put it on a matching piece of green cardstock for the right hand side of the layout:
I added more photos from my father-in-law's birthday party and used more of the chipboard for embellishments on both pages.  Here's the finished two page layout:
The color scheme was inspired by a prompt in Shimelle's Pretty Paper Party class on using a neutral (I chose cream) with two brighter colors. So, there you have it - 9 pictures on 2 pages, plus room for embellishments and journaling. Do you usually make one or two page layouts? How many photos do you usually use?

14 comments:

Amy said...

I personally detest double pagers, it's become a bit of a running joke with some of my scrapy friends ... I like the look of them, they just always provide so many frustrations from a design perspective and I find they take me ages and I'm an impatient scrapper at the best of times!

As for photos, that depends on the sort of layout I'm making, it can vary and I have fitted 20 photos on a page before, one or two is the usual though.

scrappyjacky said...

I often make double page layouts....because I often have enough photos of one event/place etc.for 2 pages....in fact have just finished 2 sets for Shimelle's class.
But I find it difficult to fit many photos on the page.....and always admire how many you fit on....on my latest page I actually printed them small so that I could fit 6 on the page!More usually I only have 2 [possibly 3] on a page.
Great colours you chose for this prompt....love how it all works.

alexa said...

Taking the colours across to the second page has worked really well. I used to do loads of DLOs - you're making me wonder why I stopped! Hmm...

Sian said...

Um, one? to both of those questions! But I have been trying to find ways I love to add more pictures to a page, and I've also been experimenting with different sized photos too.

You certainly do have a talent for this style - and your albums are sure to be treasured way into the future

humel said...

Fabulous layouts again, Rinda :)

I'm mostly a single layout scrapper, though I do mix it up with doubles now and then. The number of photos varies but mostly it's just 1 at a time - not least because I usually use 4x6" photos and once I put a few of those together that doesn't leave much space for anything else!

Capescrapper said...

First of all Rinda, LOVE this layout! Secondly, the use of Common threads is fantastic, and love how you used the pop of white! So much dimension in these pages.

I may just have to revisit some of this paper. That teal blue is one of my faves!

Capescrapper said...

And almost forgot to mention, I typically try and get as many pics on my pages as possible without making them looked cluttered. Being a CS member, I usually follow the ALSB layouts and they typically, in a 2 page spread, use 6 4x6 photos. But sometimes, there are those little blocks etc I try and use those for cropped pics.

Unknown said...

I scrapbook both, singles and double pages. I love to fit tons of photos on a page, too, and find that two-pagers work best for that, but I have been known to collage in quite a few on a single pager. Up until a year or two ago, I was extremeley uncomfortable scrapping a single photo on a page, but I'm slowly becoming more comfortable with it. I still spend far too long on my layouts, though and must find a way to quicken my pace. Or I'll be 200 years old and still working on my teen age years...

GlorV1 said...

Hi Rinda. That's beautiful. I love what you do. Wonderful memories. One day I will get all the pictures I have that are in one of those plastic boxes and go through them and do what you are doing. I'm lazy about it though. Really nice job, thanks for sharing.

Lauren said...

I really like the design/how the top/left layout came out! It's simply lovely and the colors are striking!

I use probably about 1-3 smaller sized photos on average these days, though I would really have to go back and have to look to know for sure.

Anonymous said...

i love how you get a ton of pix on your LOs, i always put at least 5, usually 7 or 8 :) unless it is a super spectacular picture that goes with nothing else that i MUST have in my album, i find single picture LOs to be a bit of a waste of space :D

Mariana in CA

Alison said...

I used to make a lot of double page LOs,using anything up to ten pics but haven't done one in ages
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

Nice colors used! I need to do more double page layouts.

Becky said...

I used to usually make one page layouts, but have found myself making quite a few two page layouts recently. On one page layouts I'll do at least 2 photos, if not three and on a double there will be at least six. I love your double page layout, it's just 'right'.