Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Have Classes Affected Your Vacation Photography?

While editing my vacation photographs, I realized that many of my photographs had been influenced by classes I have taken. The photograph above, in the chapel at Sudely Castle in Winchcomb includes some modern art that hangs over the altar in front of the stained glass window.  I loved the juxtaposition of the two images, and I think I learned to see this from a Shimelle class (maybe love your pictures, love your pages).  This picture was definitely affected by the Beautiful People portrait class I just completed:
As was this portrait, which I was considering using for the scavenger hunt "protest or political action" entry. I had to be brave and ask this young lady if I could take her picture. I wish I would have been even braver and asked her to move around a bit to make better use of the available light and to declutter the background. She was in Cambridge, England, raising money for a school in Africa:
For these two pictures, I used some technical skills I learned in a Shimelle class and in Get Out of Auto to get the sky right, as well as composition skills to create different moods:


Finally, I took these two photographs thinking they were perfect candidates for some PSE Textures:


Have you noticed that on-line classes affect the photographs you take on vacation (or in general)?

12 comments:

Amy said...

I would say both classes and the blogs of other friends who take an interest in photography - it is not just when on holidays though, all year round! Funnily enough, I take photos with textures in mind, even though I don't use them all that often.

Sian said...

I'm certainly thinking more about the photos I'm taking and considering how they will appear in finished form. but I don't want to get to the point where the family is saying - you just took that one so you could blog it! I still like just snapping away too

JO SOWERBY said...

i have been trying to take shots at unusual angles like we did in shimelle's class looking up in the sky and down at the gorund. somtimes it works, other times it doesn't,
i would say im still learning,
jo xxxx

Unknown said...

Think I will need to take some more online photo classes - your photos look great!

Yvonne said...

Fantastic photo's, Rinda!

scrappyjacky said...

I still just tend to snap away!!!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh, I just love the photos you have posted, Rinda! Yes, I think that online classes have influenced the way I take pictures, but I'd say that following amazing photography blogs has influenced me even more. I never thought of myself as a photographer, but I've been really surprised lately when people tell me that I'm a good one. Ha! Funny to me, but it's something I really love.

Irene said...

Rinda:All your photos are great and make me want to visit London. I especially love the one with the tree. It gives me the sense of walking up that path to the top and wonder what is beyond that hill.

Becky said...

I am definitely thinking more about photos having taken some online classes and two classes at the local college. I still don't think mine are very good though! Love your photos they are great :)

laurie said...

i love how you are such the life-long learner, rinda! i have never taken a photography class but enjoy hearing about yours. looking at these photos from your trip make me feel like i'm on vacation. the ones of trees are my absolute favorites!

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

I loved your photos, it makes me want to take a photography class. There's so much to learn. My uncle is a photographer for a news paper and has received numerous awards. I've always admired his photography skills.

I think my favorite photo is the tree on the wall. It looks so sad but yet so content to be on the wall.
Thanks for the welcome back!

Melissa said...

I have definitely noticed a change in what I photograph since taking online classes. I take a lot more photos of things, places, flowers, signs, stuff that tells the story of the place or that I just find interesting.