Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pass the Book: Still Missing (and Book/Blog question)

I finished reading Still Missing by Beth Gutcheon and am ready to pass it on. I received it as part of Sian's Pass the Book project, which you can read about here. This was one of the original books, I think, and it has passed through the hands of Amy, Jacky, Mel and Becky. I've kept it for quite a while, I'm afraid. It took me a while to get around to reading, and now that I'm finished with it, I'm not sure what took me so long! It's a really well-written book and quite a fast read. It deals with a young child who has disappeared and holds the reader's interest in many the same ways that a good police procedural television show or movie does - by showing the twists and turns in the investigation. But it adds a layer of character development that moves it out of the crime fiction genre and into literature, I think. This edition is also beautifully printed and bound - it feels good to hold it in your hands. If you're interested in receiving the book, leave me a comment and let me know. I'll pick a random name next week. 
If you receive a book in the "Pass the Book" project, you are asked to pass it along to someone else after you finish it and to post some kind of inspiration from the book. Which brings me to the art journal page at the top of today's post. My son, Henry, just passed his driver's license test and can now drive on his own - as in, alone and without us. It makes my life a bit lot easier, and he has earned the independence it gives him. But, it is a very, very scary thing. Much like the mother in Still Missing allows her seven year old son to walk two blocks to school on his own, I now allow sixteen year old Henry to drive a few miles on his own (to work, which is 4.1 miles away, and to the high school for baseball practice, which is 3.8 miles away). It's one of those hard parts of parenting that I know everyone must face.  It's one of those times when I'm acutely aware that, as Elizabeth Stone said about motherhood, my heart has decided to "go walking around outside my body."  The journaling on my page reads "I will watch you drive away and trust that the universe will bring you back home to me."
Finally, I am looking for a good way to keep track of the books I read, and I think I want to do it on my blog. For those of you who do this, can you tell me about what you use, where you got it, how to install it, etc. You can either post in the comments or email me at rinda1961{at}yahoo{dot}com.  Thanks.

10 comments:

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I believe Goodreads.com has a what I am reading widget for your blog. I am on LibraryThing.com it's widget is configurable to show what you are reading but I think it might be more work to set up than goodreads

Terry said...

Beautiful page and powerful statement. It is something we all face as parents and then grandparents! Have a great Thursday!

Sian said...

I like how the book inspired that thought process. You need to be 17 to get a licence here, so TTO is still counting down the months!

Alison said...

Congrats to your son...I remember when Kirsty passed hers and how I felt for a long time afterwards! I would love to be in the hat for the book please!
Alison xx

GlorV1 said...

Lately I've been using my Kindle to read books although I still send for books. The Kindle shows what I've read. Congrats to your son on his driver's license.

Cheryl said...

What a gorgeous page and congratulations to your son x

Jimjams said...

Congrats on your son's driving test - have yet to face that particular trial as No.1 Son failed his test and has lost interest and No.2 Son can't be bothered to learn!

The book sounds very interesting and I'd love to be in the draw please.

furrypig said...

Rinda, I love your book inspired art journalling and as a mum can relate to your thoughts, although my 2 are younger. Each stage of childhood comes with it's own challenges and milestones. Thanks or the chance to 'win' this novel in Pass the Book, I am going to post about my pass the book this week I think!

Becky said...

Glad you enjoyed the book too Rinda. I can quite understand your apprehension with Henry driving - I remember it well with Ben. The next thing with him is his leaving home in August to move to another town to start his new job - will definitely feel as if he is missing! Sorry I haven't visited your blog recently - things here have been pretty hectic with little 'me' time. Trying to make up it tonight.

Margi said...

Love the inspiration. This is one book that has been on my 2011 reading list for quite some time now! My "little girl" turns 25 on Sunday, can't believe it. Seems like yesterday my Dad and I were taking her to get her driving permit so she could have her car on the road and relieve me of the travel around town burden. I kind of miss those days now!