Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Art Class Offerings (because I can't help myself)

The art journaling prompt this month at The Scrappy Tree is "Change," and I created this page with a quote about inevitable, unavoidable change from Anais Nin that grabbed me as soon as I read it:
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful that the risk it took to blossom."
I used to teach art classes and stopped when my local scrapbook store closed. I've missed teaching, but never really found a good, easy venue to continue.  Until now.  My friend and art teacher, Connie Andrews, has taken the risk of renting a studio space for various people to gather and create art. I'm taking the risk with her because it is just too painful not to.  So, with a great deal of happiness (and a little trepidation), here are the classes I plan to offer for the next few months:


Art Journaling 1A:  Art Diary
Sunday mornings, June 13, 20 and 27. 9:30-11:30 am, with additional studio time available until 1:00 pm at no charge.  This three week class will give you the tools you need to get started creating an art journal as an art diary and to continue your journaling after class ends.  Cost for the three week class: $75 (plus a $25 material fee, which covers a fifty page artist book filled with handmade paper, a daily journal, and pens appropriate for art journaling).  Please bring gesso, scissors, a wet adhesive (glue, gel medium, etc.) and an assortment of paint brushes and acrylic paints. If you like, you can also bring an assortment of images and a heat tool. Due to the materials provided, the class is limited to six participants.  If you cannot attend any of the sessions, instructions will be available online and we may be able to schedule a make-up session.


Creating Cards with Ephemera
Saturday, July 24 -  9:30-12:00.  Come and learn how to use collage images, text and other ephemera to create visually balanced and aesthetically pleasing cards.  We will cover four designs/techniques, and the class fee includes materials to complete eight cards.  In addition, the class fee includes a wooden cigar box in which to package your cards, making them the perfect gift.  Please bring scissors, a paper trimmer, and your favorite adhesive.  Although I will have plenty of ephemera and rubber stamps, you are free to bring your own rubber stamps and ephemera.  $30.00



 Art Journaling 2A: Themed Art Journal  Plaster Gratitude Journal
Saturday, Aug. 14  -
 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Learn how to incorporate a variety of collage and journaling techniques to create a cohesive, themed art journal.  You will also be introduced to working on plaster wrap, one of my favorite materials.  Please bring gesso, scissors, a wet adhesive (glue, gel medium, etc.) and an assortment of paint brushes and acrylic paints. A pre-work handout will be emailed to those who sign-up.  
Cost: $50


Art Journaling 1B:  Art Journal as Creative Play 
Sundays, Sept. 12, 19 and 26, 9:30 - 11:30 am with additional studio time available until 1:00 pm at no charge.  This class will give you the artistic tools and confidence you need to start art journaling regularly as a way to engage in creative play and/or create a sketchbook.   Cost for the three week class: $75 (plus a $10 material fee, which covers a spiral bound journal  and pens appropriate for the course).  If you cannot attend any of the sessions, instructions will be available online and we may be able to schedule a make-up session.


The studio is located at 103-1 Harvard , Princeton-by-the-Sea.  It is in the same building as Elegant Cheesecakes and just down the street from the Maverick's Surf Shop.  Jeff Clark (of Maverick's) has very considerately put up lots of signs directing folks to his shop, so you can just follow those and then keep going for another block.


If you would like to sign up for a class, please email me at rinda1961@yahoo.com or leave me a comment below with your email address, and I will contact you to confirm everything.
Thank you all for helping my art dream to blossom!

18 comments:

debs14 said...

How exciting! You must be thrilled. These classes sound fab, if only they were a little bit closer to home for me! I'm not sure who is going to have the most fun, you or your students!

Amy said...

Wonderful!

I am so pleased for you Rinda, these classes sound fabulous and I wish I were closer as I'd love to take a class with you. Congratulations for embracing the change - I know you will be pleased that you did :-)

scrappyjacky said...

The classes sound wonderful,Rinda...would love to take one if I was in your part of the world.

helena said...

what a great adventure - look forward to hearing about them. love that quote - helps explain some things I've done in the past

Cheryl said...

Wow Rinda good for you, wish I lived closer would defernatley like to take quite a few. Good luck and I am sure your students will enjoy them as much as you x

Lizzie said...

I want to go... I want to go... I want to go......

Congratulations Rinda, this is so exciting! I really do wish I lived nearby, as I would so enjoy some of these classes.

You are inspiring me to try my ideas about teaching classes too.. Time I sat down and sent a couple of e-mails...

I really hope the classes are popular and go very well, so you can plan and teach some more!

And of course, after your classes finish, you can all go surfing and then indulge in a bit of cheesecake...

Lizzie said...

Okay, in my over-excitement about the classes, I totally omitted my original intention - to comment on the Art Journal page!

I think it's really lovely. The quote is a wonderful one and I am so inspired by the way you've put the page together. Love the overlapping book pages, cut-out shapes, stamping, misting, stencilling and the way you have incorporated the photos at the top, so they look part of the whole.
I like your Art quote at the bottom too.

Sian said...

This is fabulous news Rinda! Congratulations on grabbing the chance and going for it. I'd love to be there..I'd really, really love to be there. Wishing you every success in this x

Anonymous said...

Oh, me too! These sound like so much fun! And your art journal page is lovely---I love the red and purple, the stenciling (I think that's what you've done) and the quote.

Julie Shoemaker said...

Rinda, I am so excited for you! I'm sure you and Connie will make a brilliant team. Your AJ page is just amazing. If I was closer, I'd be there in a heart beat.

Cherry said...

What an amazing page Rinda - love that quote and the images you've chosen.

That is fab news for those near you - I would so love to be in your class - but fear it is a little too far to travel. I wish you all the arty success in the world and envy you all that amazing creative interconnectivity. Hugs Cherry XXX

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Good for you, Rinda!!! If I lived closer I'd definitely be signing up for your classes. Funny, I may be one of your closest followers since I'm only one state away...too bad it's about a 12 hour car trip!

All the best to you!!! xo

laurie said...

i so want to take one, or all, of your classes! unfortunately, i am geographically distant. you did a wonderful job of making them sound irresistible in the descriptions and i'm sure you will have many eager participants.

the art journal page you created is beautiful. i like how you used the photos of children, who enthusiastically change by the minute.

Denise said...

This is great news Rinda,If I lived nearer I would definitely be taking a class or two,and your page you have created on this post is lovely- good luck x

Becky said...

Your classes sound fab! Only wish I could transport myself over the ocean to you! Wishing you loads and loads of best wishes with them x

sharyncarlson said...

What wonderful news! Wishing you the very best. Without a doubt, I am sure you are a fantastic teacher and your students will learn so much from you!

humel said...

How did I miss this post first time round??? Must have been busy getting ready for my holiday... Such exciting news, I so wish I could attend! xx

julieB said...

Oh My, Rinda. It is so fun to run onto old friends in this interconnected art blog world. Love what you do with the Club Scrap stamps. What a inspiring teacher you must surely be, so great to hear you are in the swing again.
My main art contact is still Club Scrap. Lately I've been taking time to noodle around the net. Wish I could noodle over for some classes!
Best of luck
julieB